Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 30 - Change #5

Time to commit to another change. This week's is a food commitment. Well, maybe it is a behavior commitment. That makes no sense, everything we do to get healthy is a behavior commitment. Yep, it is a food commitment. Why am I rambling?

For perspective, I know for a fact I have done great harm to myself in not knowing when enough is enough. Not necessarily when eating a meal, sure there too, but I am talking about on a daily basis. Eating late is something I've done out of habit for years. Dinner may be at 5, 6, or 7 p.m., and bed time a few hours later. But seldom a day would go by I wouldn't eat another snack, sneak a nibble of something, just before bed. And I am not talking a 100 calories snack, nope. Two or three times that amount most likely and more so on some evenings. Why? No idea. But I know it is not only not healthy, but I know I cannot get healthy if I allow myself to do so. Therefore...

Change 5...
  • Don't eat after dinner

For the past month I have lived this change, minus one or two days, and my progress to date certainly has something to do with not eating anymore after dinner is done. So today it just seems to make sense to chalk it up as a change to commit to.

Have you made any commitments to change lately that are making a difference in your life?

Responsibility 199... Gotta Do It!!

5 comments:

  1. A few months back I gave up my nightly glass of wine. While one glass isn't a huge thing, those are empty calories that I didn't need. I do find that I sleep better and don't wake up during the night as often. That's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on your great progress Patrick. I too find that when I don't eat after dinner the weight moves along better. For me the past few weeks it's been timing my 5-6 small weeks a day. Not allowing myself to eat sooner than 2 1/2-3 hour intervals. It seems to be working pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have to find our own way Patrick & understand what works & does not work for us. I have a SMALL snack in the eve but I do make it small, I portion control & know I can stop there. Many have trouble stopping which leads to mindless calories & weight gain. Do what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a good change. They have shown that the timing of your meals is really pretty irrelevant to weight gain/loss, but as you are pointing out, it is more of a behavior thing. Disciplining yourself to stop that evening snack may also introduce discipline elsewhere. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, a little alcohol does help me sleep, but not much help waking up here. When I do drink it is in the evenings usually, but I drink rarely anymore. A good thing for getting healthy I imagine.

    Lanine, Hi, nice to see you here. Agreed, when I do hold on to this discipline I too feel better the next morning. More zip in my get up and go.

    Dawn, Thanks! That seems about right interval wise, pretty much what I am doing, 2-3 hours between meals/snacks.

    Jody, Stopping before too many calories go down to the gut has been an issue of mine in the past. A good reason to stay away from eating late if I can help it as I find my discipline wanes as the day gets longer too.

    Kyle, good point. Discipline can breed discipline.

    ReplyDelete