Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 18 - When Do I...

When should a person trying to lose weight do their exercise? Obviously a person's personal/professional schedules will influence when they have time to exercise, but forgetting those for a moment, when is the best time of day to exercise? From what I gather in some various readings it seems the best time is first thing in the morning before eating; Agree?

In my reading I recall the notion that when you exercise with an empty stomach then you are burning fat, but when exercising on a recently fed stomach you are burning energy from that food. While this on the surface would seem to make some sense I have to imagine what you've eaten has something to do with how readily available that food is to be used as energy. If I down a piece of fruit I'd expect it to be ready to burn quickly, but a turkey leg will need longer to give me fuel; Right?

Assuming the best time to eat is after exercise, when should a person eat after exercise? From what I gather it seems the best time is within 15 minutes of concluding exercise; Agree?

Some of what I read suggests that it doesn't matter if you don't eat up to two hours after exercise to refuel. In part I hope this is more the reality than the suggestion you have a 15 minute window only. After I work out I am thirsty, but not necessarily in a mind to dash right to the pantry. perhaps I haven't got to that point yet in my exercising yet though.

My thoughts are on those questions after yesterdays experience. I committed to working out yesterday but life happened so my intent for when & how I'd exercise when I woke up didn't materialize in reality. Oh I did workout. But not right after work as I had planned to have the time to get in a high quality session. Instead due to my own bumbling of things that had to be done I didn't get time to myself until 9:30 p.m. yesterday. As I am a 5 a.m. riser, by 9:30 p.m. on most days I am not interested in sweating. But, motivated by my mission I at least altered my planned workout to one I knew I could do at that time so I'd at least get some exercise in. I had eaten dinner, a light meal really, at about 8:45 p.m., so not quite an hour before I started using the exercise bands in the living room and doing crunches from a stay-ball. As I exercised I didn't feel any ill effect from having just eaten, but again it was a light meal. I was tired from the day's work, but still managed to feel good about the exercise band routine I went through. When I was done my blood was pumping and I could've stayed up for a while longer if desired but I knew it was time for me to turn in so I did. That’s when a I started asking myself the questions above.

Whatever the right answer is in terms of when the best time is and when to eat considering exercise, regardless I have to imagine that if you can exercise/eat when ideal, as long as you do so then you are still better off.

A day off exercise today, for good reason… Happy Birthday to my gorgeous wife!

We still plan to eat well with a mulligan being taken for some birthday pie (she likes pie more so than cake).

Responsibility 199... Gotta Do It!!

5 comments:

  1. I think your conclusion is key...I've heard the same things as well as different views of best time to exercise and best post workout nutrition. I think these concepts may only make the difference under the most optimal conditions, but won't make/break the positive affects of exercise as long as it gets done.

    I imagine some of this advice is like automotive maintenance...sure your car may have the best MPG if you keep the tires inflated properly, but it doesn't mean your car won't still get to where its going...you may simply just be losing out on a fractional improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your wife! It's my son's birthday as well! (Taurus...ugh).

    I usually exercise at night, an hour or more after dinner...it's the only time I really have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kyle on this one Patrick, it's about just getting in the exercise when you can. I've heard lots of different timing things with food and morning exercise is best but I've went through my weight loss just doing what I could when I could and it's all turned out fine.

    I know for me, I prefer to exercise before dinner but with my long workouts my sugar will drop half way through so I have a protein shake before my workouts. But again it's all about how I feel and doing what I can when I can. Sometimes it's a walk on the weekends in the morning and other times its a workout at 10 at night.

    I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you and what makes you feel the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, as always thanks to your insight. I like your auto maintenance analogy; good perspective.

    Dawn, interesting you say protein shake before your workouts at times. I recall back in high school, that was so very last century, that friends & I used to down milk shakes before hitting the weights. the idea there to help fuel the work out. Not sure if we had the right approach there but you comment sent me down that memory lane.

    Gwenny, Happy Birthday to your son, enjoy Dairy Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always pondered this too. Seems to me - if thinking purely logically, that if you exercise on an empty stomach, then the fuel you use while exercising comes from glycogen release - ie - from body stores. Theoretically you would lose weight eating on empty in that instance. If you exercised after eating, and the fuel that you required was taken not from body stores, but from recently ingested nosh, then logically its not using stored anything, so you wouldnt lose weight. But that is only half the picture surely. If I dont eat, and exercise, lose body stores/weight then the food I subsequently injest will replace those stores...putting on weight. If I exercise on a full stomach, and use the energy in the recently ingested food, then I just rely on stores to get me through till the next time I eat. Logically it really shouldnt make too much difference. I am sure that purists would have a more scientific argument - but if thinking logically - its chicken and egg stuff -- innit?

    Blue~

    ReplyDelete