Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 17 - Measurements

The measure we track on the scale is certainly the most important measure we follow. If it's not right the measures of body size or body chemistry are less likely to be right too. Realizing that I am taking another step here in paying attention to measurements by logging my mission starting body measurements. Well these were taken on day 15, close enough to mission starting. Hopefully they'll be quite different when I get to 100% of my goal.






And they are…
  • Neck: 20-1/2"
  • Chest: 56-1/2"
  • Upper Arms: 18-1/2"
  • Girth: 58-1/4"
  • Waist: 55-3/4"
  • Upper Thighs: 30"
  • Calfs: 17-3/4"
  • Forehead: 22-3/4"
Ponder those for a few seconds and it is easy to see that I am an apple shaped man. Oh I like apples, but not being an apple.

So how often should I check these? Certainly not once a week like I do my weight on the scale. Monthly? That seems a bit too frequent as well. Maybe I don't check them again until I hot that 100% of my goal. How about you; if you are tracking similar measurements how often do you check them?

Today is an exercise day. After work I'm getting some in. Leaning toward cardio as my arms & shoulders are still a bit sore from the weekends initial go at the dumbbells. Then again maybe I ought not wait another day and get back after them. We'll see how I feel when I get home.

Whatever it is you do today, enjoy it thoroughly.

Responsibility 199... Gotta Do It!!

4 comments:

  1. I was not quite so rigorous with my initial measurements -- Us wimmens usually cite Bust, waist and hips as the golden three - but I read somewhere -- (cant remember where) that your neck size gave a far truer picture, that bazoombah's it seem go up and down at will roflol.

    I took those three measurements on day one and I am now starting week 17? is it...havent checked them yet - partly because I dont think they have altered. Wait till you know that they are different and then have a nice surprise. Thats my thinking.

    Thanks for the reminder that I can get in the car before I start a walk - you are right with the same ol same ol -- I am sure I recognised a leaf on the ground yesterday.

    Blue~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you're taking your measurements early on. I don't remember the first time I took mine but I know I promptly lost the paper anyway so I really didn't get my first recorded measurements till I was almost 1 yr and a 100lbs down. At that time I had also bought a book that talked about how important knowing our body fat % (Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle) is because the scale and BMI charts just aren't accurate. Of course they are a checker for us and an easier one than taking measurements.

    What I've found is about once a month is a good time to measure but that's just me, the book recommended weekly using a caliper. But with all my loose stuff it just wasn't much of a help and definitely not accurate. Even taking measurements aren't always that accurate because if you measure just slightly different it could throw it all off. I use a website http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html to input my measurements into but I think it works best for my pear shaped body. I think there are many websites that measure body fat vs lean body mass though.

    If your body is still sore I would wait another day. You should never work the same muscles 2 days in a row. You build muscle on the down days so need to give them time to repair themselves. Goodness I sound like a know it all, don't mean to though.

    Anyway, I'm rambling and better get back to work lol. Hope you're having a good day Patrick. You're doing terrific keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!

    I might suggest getting hips as well because that is key to the whole Waist to Hip ratio which is becoming a popular measure.

    Ok...I have to ask...can a forehead measurement really change?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue, it was fun stopping by your blog today. And I agree, Wait till you know that they are different and then have a nice surprise.

    Dawn, Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle, will have to add that to my reading list. Thanks

    Kyle, LOL, the forehead is capable of changing size if I allow myself to get a big head. Hopefully I'll gain confidence and not an unruly ego. I just threw that in for fun. Hips, check, will add, thanks.

    ReplyDelete