Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 68 - Acronym Love

So today I'd like to talk up some of our favorite acronyms we use here in blog land.

First up is NSV (Non-Scale Victory)
<--- I have my NSV's recorded on the left-hand panel of my blog.

Recall last week I actually jogged for the first time in eons. It was just once around my block, not a step more. Being able to jog for the first time in years, NSV to me.

In my closet I have half a dozen or so shirts that I haven't been able to fit into for a long time. Some of them I've never fit in since I received them but kept just in case some say I could. Last Friday I was able to fit into one of my work shirts which I haven't been able to put on and feel comfortable both standing & sitting in for three or more years. Fitting comfortably into my blue & white checkered shirt for the first time in years, NSV to me.

Next is PR (Personal Record)
I have my PR's recorded here; MY NUMBERS

Last night my work out was a walk around the 2.25 Mile loop at Lake Andrea. It had been over a month since I visited this lake in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. Last time my son & I walked around it we did so in 44 minutes even. Last night we did so in 40:11 minutes; Oh Yeah! ^---You see the timer of my iPod Nano in the picture above, sorry it is so fuzzy even for a cell phone pic. I think we can break 40 minutes in future efforts but to do much better than that we'll likely need to start jogging certain lengths of it. Last night it was in the mid-80's and humid so I was wiped out when we were done. Perhaps that in part was motivation to hump that loop so hard, the sooner we got done the sooner we could get back to the air conditioning of my vehicle.

The jog around the block I added to my PR list too. I fully intend to do it again and destroy that time. As well eventually add a second block, a third, a ...

Do NSV's and PR's motivate you?

NSV's motivate me more so than PR's. NSV's are akin to a kid's joy when they open up that Christmas gift and it was just what they asked Santa for. Or akin to that girl saying yes to a date after weeks of putting off asking because you she thought was way out of your league (or guy in your case perhaps).

PR's are motivating too and I know folks have differing views on them. I'd like to think I'd being doing just as well as I feel I am even if I didn't log PR's. For me they provide a challenge, a purpose to dig a little deeper, reach a little further while in the throws of exercise.

Acronym's, love'em or not, they are apart of my mission.

Responsibility 199 - Gotta Do It!!

5 comments:

  1. Way to up your intensity with a jog! Keep taking it slow and building to prevent injury. Each step taken is a new PR.

    I think that any NSV and PR can motivate if you do stop and take time out to celebrate even the smallest victories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first started reading fitness/weight loss blogs and so the term NSV. I loved that. There are victories outside of what it says on the scale. For me it was being able to bend down and get a book off the lowest shelf at the library after many years of avoiding those shelves because of knee pain.

    So happy to hear about your NSV and PR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the term NSV and I have one. I put on a old swim suit that was to tight last year and it fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on both! That's fabulous. Both are motivating, but I agree, NSV's are much more so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES for NSV & PR!!! You have done great Patrick! Keep it up & let those NSV's lead you on!

    ReplyDelete