Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 62 - Cow on a Skateboard

FRIDAY, that's what today is in case you didn't know.

This weekend my wife & I are going out of town to attend a wedding for a buddy of mine from high school, Mark or 'Vish' as I've known him for nearly 30 years. Very happy to see my friend who I haven't seen in nearly 2 years; last time was at our 25th high school reunion in 2008. This is his 2nd time around with wedding knots so it is a low-key event. Low-key or not, the temptations will be abundant. Bar food everywhere, beer beer & more beer everywhere. You see, I have never been with this guy and not out drank him. Well, I won't out drink him this weekend; my wedding gift to him :-) I will survive this weekend!

Even away I'll try and make posts this weekend from my cell phone as best I can, I probably shouldn't guarantee I'll post though. As well I'll try and follow on with you if I can. And if I can't, I'll be back Monday to work and to blogging.

Exercise, I don't think I have talked much about exercise in my recent posts. Yes, I have been getting in my exercise, at least the minimum I've committed to; see my commitments here.

Monday this week I did my dumbbell routine and then did my 2 mile neighborhood walk. No exercise the past two days. Yesterday I went downstairs and got busy on my home gym routine. But, it didn't go so well. For some reason I couldn't get into a groove. With each rep, the form just wasn't happening, I felt as awkward as a cow on a skateboard.

After three of the ten exercises in my routine I was really struggling to do more than 3 or 4 reps without stopping for a breath. Sad! Looking to the ceiling, I considered going upstairs and trying again later.

Silent for too long the obese-michelin-man looking lessor-demon creature of my past sat up on my left shoulder & piped up. After a snort and chuckle, "Aint happenin, givin the pantry a workout is happenin though", he offered.

Silly suggestion, but, perhaps he has a point. Maybe I was zapped and needed an energy boost. So I scurried upstairs and grabbed a slice of water melon and gobbled that down like a coyote at a prime-rib buffet. Was that dumb? Eating a piece of fruit during a weekend hoping to get some fast energy to carry me through the workout?

Back in the basement, exercises four, five and six are forced; ugh just not feeling it. What is going on? "Have some more'n that watery melon, and a beer, huh, huh, how bout one?" the hungry-demon jabbed on.

Not wanting to give in I start exercise seven. But after the first set, I've had it with the bumbling display I was putting on for the Demon and gave in to him. Up the stairs I went to see what dinner would be tonight. Leftovers; one left over pork chop and fresh caesar salad for me. Dinner done, it was yummy, I eye up my recliner for it is time chill into the evening.

"Horse$#i%!!!!!", screams the healthy-alien inside me.

"Huh, where you been, playing chutes and ladders with my intestines?" I bark back.

Smiling to myself, I ask around for a walking buddy, but nobody is game. No problem, I am a big boy and can go outside alone. My 2 mile neighborhood walk here I come. Ipod on, check. Cell phone, check. Alien and Demon, um check. Off I went.

Bugs, bugs the whole way. That sucked, well the Demon found it funny; yeah I could hear him laughing. Before I knew it I get to the 1-mile turn, check the watch, hhmmm, 18:02, not great but not bad at all.

"You know if you do the second mile in the same time you'll get a new PR for this loop", states the Alien.

"Really?" I ask myself.

"Yeah, really, I can ADD!" exclaims the Alien.

"HaHaHa...", the Demon roars in eiree laughter, "It's called multi-ply-intation you Alien fool!", he fusses.

"Enough you two, Enough! Hold On." I announce.

Purpose found, pick'em up and set'em down. Groove found, Form happening; this cow was Rock'in that sidewalk. Ipod volume maxed, sweat giving into gravity, bugs; didn't even notice them still playing their irritating game.

That second mile came in at 17:09, a PR for a mile stretch, The loop came in at 35:12 - more than a minute faster than my previous best for another new PR. That called for a few fist-pumps in the drive way. Cool indeed - Way Cool, made up for that poor home gym workout earlier.

"Did it?" the Alien asks calmly.

"Ha, umpnh", the Demon tried to start up another laugh track but was quickly silenced by the Alien foot that found the inside of his mouth.

The next five minutes were all Alien. Watch, check. Ipod volume back to max, check. A starting line on the sidewalk found, check. Off I went.

Around the block I went, just a bit more exercise to be sure I redeemed myself for earlier. Not really sure how far it is around my block, certainly I will check the next time in the car. Regardless how far it may be, I got around it in 4:35, slow or fast who knows.

Heh heh...it was fast. I forgot to mention that Alien inspired extra block, he got me to JOG around the block.

It wasn't pretty, not even close. It wasn't easy, oh I came so close to stopping. But I made it around without stopping. First time I jogged in an embarassing large number of years.

Oh Yeah - I Rocked that last block, I Rocked that work out; I Rocked this day!!

If I don't get to blog this weekend  - you keep Rock'in all weekend!

Responsibility 199 - Gotta Do It!!

7 comments:

  1. WTG on the new PR! *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Let us know how the vacation goes. I've been on vacation myself, or I would have stopped by sooner. Things are going well. I lost 3 pounds while on vacation! That's almost unheard of for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay you!! wait.. you were worried about a piece of watermelon?? Do you know how GOOD watermelon is for you?? I eat a whole bunch of it the day before WI, cause it helps me to shed any water weight, and it's loaded with potassium and a whole lot of other good foods.

    Nobody ever got fat eating watermelon. :) http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=31

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time visiting with your friends! And great job on the exercising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post today, it made me laugh. Have a good time with your friends. I love watermelon and I can eat it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did it.. you & that alien! :-)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go on the jog. Man those bugs were getting to me on Saturday when I took a break to walk a minute. You almost HAD to run to get away from the bugs lol.

    ReplyDelete