Responsibility 199, what is it?

Responsibility 199 is a belief; I believe that to be healthy and to increase my longevity I need to weigh 199 pounds or less...
Responsibility 199 is a need; I need to reduce my weight, reduce my percentage of body fat, and the elevated threat of disease my present condition presents...
Responsibility 199 is a mission; I recognize that achieving 199 will be a challenge, perhaps the hardest I have ever undertaken...
Responsibility 199 is a commitment; I acknowledge that I must commit to action, commit to change, commit to myself and those I love to achieve this mission, to increase my longevity...
Responsibility 199 is ME.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 449-450: Bi-Annual Fun

Every other year I spend a Sunday starving all day and getting ready for Monday. This used to be an annual event. Not sure it will ever be less frequent than bi-annual, but one could hope. I used to dread this day but I've done this so many times over the past decade that while I certainly do not look forward to it I give it the same wrinkle of the nose and roll of the eyes as going to the dentist.

On Monday I'll wake up before dawn and head to the hospital where while most people are eating breakfast or commuting to work, I'll be participating in a big way in a colonoscopy. Somewhere around mid-morning it will all be done with. Then I'll have the rest of the day to clear my mind and body of the anesthesia and get something to eat. Hopefully come evening I'll get myself out for a walk.

This is all good really. The alternative would be to ignore the need for such preventative attention. A decade ago had I ignored the need for attention when something didn't seem right, I would have never experienced a colonoscopy and as a result likely wouldn't be here today to share my bi-annual fun with you.

However I've learned a number of times over, via my own experiences and those of others, that it is paramount to listen to your body and seek attention when something doesn't seem right. And just as important is to be get those check ups, tests and the like to prevent that which would cause you harm, or end you, if left to undetected.

While this may seem a bit gloomy of a post to wrap up what has been a fabulous weekend, it is in reality an affirmation of responsibility.


Responsibility 199 - Gotta Do It!!

9 comments:

  1. Be good to your body! Good luck tomorrow. I think you get to treat yourself to some ice cream when it's all over with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the testing. Not pleasant but necessary. I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. I will have my first one later this year. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the dreaded prep. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. Listen to your body! I did and it saved my life. I hope it goes well tomorrow. Kind of a bummer of a way to spend a Sunday/Monday.

    Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post that we all should listen to Patrick & than you for sharing this as well as your other issues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that everything went well. And thanks for the reminder that we all need to take care of our bodies. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the test results come back clear.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. No fun, but you're right a necessary evil. On the bright side, you just got back from Hawaii so the sympathy meter is much lower! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete